Internet shutdown in Syria; widespread problems for citizens

  • 2025-03-26 12:44:24

The Internet has been disabled throughout Syria today (Tuesday), making it impossible to access the country's official websites.

The "NetBlocks" organization, which is active in the field of data traffic monitoring and cybersecurity, reported that the Internet shutdown began in the early hours of this morning.

Al-Jazeera Network says that it tried to access the official Syrian news agency (SANA) website this morning, but was unable to do so due to the Internet shutdown in Syria.

This is not the first time that Internet services have been cut off in Syria after the new Syrian government came to power in the country. The Syrian Internet was also cut off in Damascus province in January, and also in February and this month in the southern provinces of the country, especially in Sweida and Daraa, which Syrian media reported as sabotage operations.

Ahmed al-Hariri, the director of communications for Daraa province, had previously told SANA that the internet outage was caused by the destruction of fiber optic cables between Damascus and Daraa province.

Hariri had called on Syrians to protect their communications infrastructure to prevent internet outages.

According to experts, the internet outage has particularly affected online commerce, personal communications and the media, and many Syrian citizens have been unable to access the internet. The outage occurred while the Syrian government has not provided an official explanation for its causes.

Some domestic Syrian news sources have also indicated that the outage was due to security issues or to prevent the transmission of information at sensitive times.

So far, no official information has been released regarding the exact time when the internet will be restored, and Syrians hope that this problem will be resolved soon.

Related